KB Homes back in NM…back to Orchards too?

I heard on the news today that KB Homes is moving back to Albuquerque. Does anyone know if they are going to return to our community to finish what they started? Just wondering, it’ll be really nice if they finish building on the lots.

Related Tags: [ ]

12 Responses to “KB Homes back in NM…back to Orchards too?”

1. chris says:

You know I heard that they might a while back… so i guess now it’s official now?

One thing I heard is that KB might try to get out of paying certain fees to build and will try to build smaller homes (i.e., lower-cost homes) which could result in ALL of our property values to go down! We really need to come together and get a game plan going so we can make sure what ever KB or any other builder does, doesn’t decrease the value of our homes!

To the Board,
    Any insight on this?

Maybe I can reach out to Ken Sanchez next week, when I get time, and find out what his position is and what he knows.

chris

2. Julia says:

I had heard a while back that they’d petitioned the City to let them come back in and finish our community and one other without having to register as a new builder (and pay those fees). I never heard the results of that, but my gut feeling is they want to be done with our communities, with having to pay fees and help with the management. I’m very curious, too, on what the result is going to be and would like to hear from someone that knows more of what is going on.

3. margo says:

Where did everyone here all this information? At the master association meeting I did hear the topic brought up but that was about it….

4. webmaster says:

check out the comments at the bottom of the news article! LOL

5. Robert says:

KB, along with all the homebuilders and trades in Albuquerque, was successful in pushing through a 50% reduction of the impact fees that are due when they commence construction. Councilor Sanchez I believe actually sponsored the bill. So he is definitely on the side of the builders on this issue. He has offered to take steps to ensure that KB does not build out our community with a bunch of smaller homes and instead builds homes that are consistent with the community.

Given that there were virtually no safeguards in the reduction and the fact that Mark A. from KB stated they would build homes that were economically feasible, it’s anyone’s guess what will actually happen.

I guess we all have to organize and hold Councilor Sanchez to his offer. I guess we’ll just have to see how it goes.

Robert

6. Melissa says:

Here’s another article but from Channel 7

KB Homes Returns For Business

POSTED: 5:26 pm MST November 19, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:14 pm MST November 19, 2009
    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A well-known home builder is back in New Mexico.

It’s still an empty lot in Anderson Heights where KB Homes once planned to build. But on the other side of town, KB Homes is back and open for business.

Margaret Sadowski has lived in the KB development known as The Villas for more than two years and welcomed the news.

“I was very happy about it,” said Sadowski. “I wasn’t sure what they had previously planned for the empty lots. They said it was going to be a private builder so I wasn’t expecting KB to come back.”

She said moving into the development was a gamble.

“Before I actually came here, I was told they were planning to leave,” said Sadowski.

She was told that another builder would finish the development.

“I thought it might be an issue — it might lower the value of the home,” said Sadowski.

KB Homes pulled out of Albuquerque in 2008 and left many subdivisions in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho empty.

For a couple years, The Villas sat unfinished. On one side were homes completed before KB pulled out, and on the other side empty lots and piles of dirt.

Sales reps told Action 7 News since Oct. 31 of this year they’ve already sold three lots on the property.

KB Homes would not address several other neighborhoods they’ve left unfinished, or why they chose to complete The Villas subdivision , but they did say, “At this point KB Home is focused on this project (the Villas). We feel these affordably priced homes will bring homeownership within reach for more Albuquerque families.”

And for Villa residents like Sadowski, that’s good enough.

As for the empty lots in Anderson Heights, residents have received a neighborhood newsletter, saying KB Homes has cleared the empty lots. Action 7 news contacted the homeowner’s association, who said it’s unclear what will happen to those empty lots.

7. Robert says:

I just don’t understand why KB will not be more transparent in their plans for our neighborhoods. I don’t understand the need for so much secrecy. It’s starts the rumor mill and that can’t possibly be good for sales, never mind how it makes those of us who have already purchased KB homes feel.

8. Margo says:

I see a trailer parked in the Sandstone Trails area. Was wondering if this is KB homes or what is going on. Maybe a move back in. ???

9. Trista says:

The dirt moving trucks that have been operating on the streets over in Sandstone Trails, tell me they are getting ready for some buildings to go up.

10. Robert says:

I think the trailers belong to DR HORTON. I think KB tried to sell our lots to them but I think the sale fell through. I was a little discouraged to see a sign saying the low 100’s.

11. DLGray-Wurz says:

Yesterday when we returned from errands my husband and I noticed a very small sign that appeared to have letters on it with KBHomes letter head. It’s on the entrance side of the gate. They are so small you’d have to get down on your hands and knees to read them.
    Anyone know what it pertains to?

12. chris says:

Yes,, very small font :)

I read it… it has something to do with Flood Control.. I didn’t read the whole thing so I don’t know exactly what it’s for. I was going to take a picture of it, but it was dark :( I’ll try again and Post something. Happy Holidays